What a difference a day makes

Nov 9, 2011 | On Being Positive

Blog Categories

Blog Archive

About Me

Lynne Tapper

I am a lifelong endurance athlete with the dual goal of training and racing until my bones turn to dust and sharing that passion with as many people as possible.

While yesterday (Tuesday) was a better day than the previous (Monday), by the time I thought about writing a post, the blues had set in again.  Here is what Tuesday was like:

My kids went to school.  That might seem like a mundane fact to most people reading this.  But they haven’t been at school since Friday, October 28th.  So, needless to say, this was cause for celebration (for us, not them).  This gave me, Leland, and my mother some time to get settled at home without distractions.

We started the day with my first sponge bath.  It did make me feel a bit better. I was able to scrub off the betadine and tape from the IVs.  It did make me very excited for my first shower.  Not sure when that will be.

Then I decided to just take it easy in the morning and read.  I just started the Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks.  I’m finding it fascinating. It’s a true story about an African-American woman who died a painful death from cervical cancer in 1951.  However, her cells have lived on and it’s about what good her cells have served for science and medical research and how her family was affected.  I know I’m not doing the book justice, but it makes me grateful that I live in 2011 where science is much more advanced and I have the opportunity to have a preventative surgery such as mine.

I found a chair in my bedroom that overlooks my beautiful backyard.  Sometimes I find myself staring out the window (even opening it a bit for some fresh air) and watching the flock of bluejays flitting around my backyard.

At about 10:30 am, my mother accompanied me on a walk to vote.  My voting place is a beautiful 1-mile walk away.  We walked both ways!  I felt really good.

The rest of the day was spent reading, resting, listening to music on Pandora, watching tv, and playing two games of cribbage.  I’m finding that all I can think about is getting these damn drains removed.  So, if I find something to distract me (like cribbage) that’s a good thing.

I’m looking forward to an even better day today.  A walk, a visit by some friends to watch “Bridesmaids (uncut version)” and only one more night with these drains!

It’s so funny because when I first started this whole process the one thing I was really dreading was the removal of the drains.  I’ve heard and read that the procedure (although over in a few seconds) can be pretty painful.  But truthfully, it is the one thing I am eagerly anticipating. I feel like it’ll be a huge relief to have these goddamned drains pulled out.  I have no idea how I will feel after that happens tomorrow (Thursday), but I imagine major feelings of relief.

An aside:
When it’s time for Leland to empty my drains (3-4 times every day since we left the hospital), he says, “DRAINS” in a deep-zombie-like voice.  For the first few days, I would just ignore him and even cringe.  Now I find myself smiling and even this morning even I said, “DRAINS!”  So, my sense of humor is returning.  I know that Leland is grateful for that!


Related Posts

Iron Man Triathlon. Done.

Iron Man Triathlon. Done.

You know what they say, "When one blog closes, another blog opens." Wait, I think that's about windows, but anyway, you get the point. In August 2014, I completed my first IronMan Triathlon. I kept...

read more